Sunday, July 6, 2014

This Getting Old Stuff

It seems as though not a day goes by these days that we don't hear about someone of our acquaintance having a major medical issue. We have heard today of friends getting pacemakers and of others being treated for atrial fibrillation. We have good friends getting knee and hip replacements and lots of us being medicated for diabetes and arthritis and high blood pressure. I can not believe the number of people who have told me their cataract surgery stories when I started talking about mine.

On the one hand, we are very grateful to be living in an era when there are treatments for the various complaints that come along with aging. On the other hand, I am very impressed with the friends who are dealing with various issues with grace and cheer. I know that dealing with chronic pain can cause a great deal of crankiness and fatigue.

One thing I do know, getting old is definitely not for sissies!

No comments:

Post a Comment