Friday, July 5, 2013

A L-O-N-G Day Five

It was a VERY long day today. We started with a Delegate Session at 8:30 this morning and ended up with a Worship Service that wasn't over until 8:30 tonight. And a whole group of attendees took off after the service on a Prayer Walk of about 1.5 miles past the jail and the detention center and some of the other troubled spots in the city.

Someone asked me tonight what I had liked best about the convention and I said I couldn't decide whether I appreciated the music and worship more or all of the hugs!

There's a little girl I saw last night at the Intercultural Dinner. She's a little African American child, about 3-4, with her hair in a bunch of little braids and hundreds of beads. Tonight at dinner she was at the next table and I said something to her Grandma about what a patient child she must be to sit and have her hair done like that. I was talking to the little girl about her beads and showed her that I had beads in my hair too. (A fine double strand of Navajo beads in my ponytail.)

The little girl admired my beads and said that, "purple was her favorite color." Then she looked at me very seriously and asked "Are you from Africa?"

"No"

"Then why do you have beads in your hair?"

"Because my Navajo friend gave them to me."

Her Grandma reminded her about the Native Americans she had met the night before. Then the little girl looked at her Grandma and said, "Does every people gets beads?"

Made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment