Monday, November 2, 2009

My SMALL World

I was pondering today how my world has shrunk. I have very little interest in anything beyond my own existence these days. It seems so strange to listen to the news on NPR --even about health care reform -- in a very detached manner. Like "that's interesting, but has little to do with me" instead of being concerned about the minute detail.

I had obsrerved this phenomenon before with both my father and my father-in-law after they had had major surgery. It's as though all of their energy was focused on themselves and the healing process and there was none left for anything else.

It's a bit scary to feel this way. I am normally insatiably curious about what is going on around me and what's happening in my friend's lives and families. The past couple of weeks, it's like "who cares?"!

I was pleased yesterday to note how impatient I was to see the pictures of Leslie & Bill's wedding. It felt "more like me!"

I know that a great deal of the "cloudiness" has to do with the amount of muscle relaxent and pain medication I've been taking. As I take less and less of them, I am hoping that my window into the larger world will continue to grow!

1 comment: