Thursday, April 22, 2010

Snow in the Desert!

It's been a weird couple of days as far as weather has gone. As we were coming home yesterday from Scotty's Castle out of Death Valley National Park along Nevada Hwy. 267, we ran into snow!


I've been trying to figure out what this flower was for a couple of days and I got better pictures of it yesterday. I had narrowed it down to it to being in the Evening Primrose family, but the pictures I had that matched the flowers DIDN'T match the foliage. Finally today I found it! It's Golden Suncup (Camissonia brevipes ssp. brevipes). The flowers look very much like its cousin Golden Evening-Primrose.





Last week we saw two Desert Paintbrush (Castilleja chromosa) plants, yesterday we saw several hillsides covered with them!





Last night it was cold enough to turn the electric heaters back on in Auntie Violet. I even turned on the electric mattress pad on my side of the bed! Today was a day for long sleeves and sweat shirts instead of shorts and tank tops. At one time it was raining on one side of the motorhome while the sun was shining on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment