Sunday, March 13, 2011

Citrus Blossoms







The roads at Mesa Regal RV Resort are lined with citrus trees. In our part of the park, the trees are mostly grapefruit, but there are occasion orange trees as well. There is a tree on each of the RV sites. The one at our site is right by Auntie Violet's door. We actually had to back up a bit from where we first parked in order to be able to open the door.



The trees are loaded with fruit -- we had an avocado-grapefruit salad for dinner last night. But on the same trees are lots and lots of blossoms. I'm not sure if they continue to bloom and bear fruit simultaneously all year long, or just in the spring. Or is the fruit on the trees now from last spring's blooms? As it begins to cool off in the evening and the air settles, the odor of the blooms is incredible! It's fun walking down the quarter mile to the computer lab -- it seems like I'm walking through a perfume alley.



I had never seen real citrus blossoms until we worked with Mennonite Disaster Service in Louisiana. There was an orange tree blooming right smack in the middle of the driveway to the campsite that split traffic into in and out lanes. But I can remember seeing artificial orange blossoms when I was a little girl. My mother had some in her cedar chest. They were part of the veil she wore with her wedding dress. They even had a bit of scent left on them. I think they may have been made of wax.



When I smell the blossoms in the evenings, I can't help but think of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment