Thursday, January 19, 2017

Lots of Ice

It was raining lightly when we went to bed last night. When we got up this morning, everything was this white glistening sheet of ice. I went outside and was going to fill the bird feeder. Ha! It had warmed up to 37 degrees and between the rain and the melting ice, there was a layer of water over the ice. The ice itself is close to half an inch thick. There was no way you could walk on it without falling on your tush!

I just tossed bird seed out the door, scattering it as far as I could - that was about all I could do. Forry tried breaking up the ice with the prongs of my hiking sticks, but quickly gave it up as a bad job. The poor quail slipped and slid as they came in to eat. I feel bad, but we're just going to have to wait for a thaw.

We've seen an occasional vehicle go by, but it's just too slick for much traffic. After our morning attempts, we spent the day inside. After being above freezing all day, it started to cool down after sunset. Maybe we're going to get that slow thaw everyone was hoping for instead of a chinook. We heard tonight that I-90 going east is now open over Snoqualmie Pas and they were hoping to get the west bound lanes open by tomorrow sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment