Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Surgery Day

I set the alarm on my iPad for 5:30, but either I didn't hear it or it didn't work. I woke up, looked at the clock and it was already 6:10!

It's a good thing we showered last night! We hustled and got dressed and even had time for Forry to have a small plate of biscuits and gravy and for me to grab a yogurt before we drove over to the nearby eye clinic for his 7 o'clock cataract surgery. They took him back at seven oh five, but he said he had a long wait before they took him into surgery.

I had been waiting maybe half an hour when all of a sudden, three EMTs came through the door, followed a few minutes later by a couple of firemen with a stretcher! They headed towards the back, moving pretty fast. A few minutes later, one of the nurses came out and announced to the folks in the waiting room that a patient's spouse had collapsed, but all of our loved ones who were having surgery were just fine! We never saw the crew again, they must have left through the back.

About 9:30, a nurse came out to get me, saying he was ready to leave. I found him drinking orange juice with his right eye patched. They took out his IV, took off his gown and booties and he was ready to go. I don't think whatever they had given him had worn off as even holding on to my shoulder, he was pretty wobbly. We made it to the car and back to the Inn with him walking like a drunken sailor.

The housekeeping crew had cleaned our room while we were gone and Forry immediately laid down and went back to sleep. He dozed and slept off and on all morning and to mid-afternoon. Then he got restless and was just waiting for five o'clock when he could take the patch off - and I could restart the eye drop routine.

I drove us up the South Hill to Gordy's For dinner. Forry's not supposed to drive for 24 hours, but that doesn't stop him from being a back seat driver...

It was another rainy damp day in Spokane.

No comments:

Post a Comment